JAGUAR AND SHELL LAUNCH WORLD’S FIRST IN-CAR PAYMENT SYSTEM
Posted: 15-02-2017 09:28 am
Jaguar drivers can now use their car’s touchscreen to pay for fuel with a new cashless payment app.
- Jaguar and Shell launch first payment system by a car 
- New Shell app is part of a suite of new model year updates for Jaguar XE, XF and F-PACE
- Drivers can use PayPal or Apple Pay via their car’s touchscreen to pay for fuel at Shell service stations
- Company car users can log journeys and receipts via the car’s touchscreen
- Parents can pay without waking children or leaving them in the car unattended
- Shell app is one of several updates to Jaguar’s F-PACE, XF and XE models designed to make customers’ lives simpler
- New 18 Model Year line-up also gains latest Ingenium engines delivering improved efficiency and performance
- Shell app will become available across the entire Jaguar and Land Rover ranges
- Future cashless tech research from Jaguar Land Rover includes parking and drive-through restaurants
The Shell app is one of several new enhancements to Jaguar’s F-PACE, XE and XF models. Other updates include the introduction of the latest efficient Ingenium petrol and diesel engines and the addition ofconvenience features such as gesture technology where the sweep of a foot can open the boot.
Rather than using a card at the pump, or queuing in the forecourt shop, owners who install the Shell app can simply drive up to any pump at a Shell service station (initially in the UK and then globally) and use the vehicle’s touchscreen to select how much fuel they require and pay using PayPal or Apple Pay. Android Pay will be added later in 2017.
An electronic receipt will be displayed on the touchscreen, so customers can leave the forecourt confident of having paid. A receipt will also be sent directly from the pump to the driver’s email address so it can be added to accounting or expenses software.
"In a world where cash is no longer king, customers are increasingly using electronic payments and contactless cards. Making a payment directly from a car’s touchscreen will make refuelling quicker and easier. With this new system you can choose any pump on the forecourt and pay for the fuel even if you’ve forgotten your wallet or can’t find your credit or debit card. You will save time because there’s no more queuing to pay in a shop, and for drivers with children, it won’t be necessary to wake them up, or unstrap them from their seats to take them into the shop. Expenses and tax returns will also be made much simpler, with no receipts to lose as these will all be sent electronically."